Thursday, August 2, 2007

Happy Birthday sweet boys!!!











Tomorrow, Aug 3, the twins will have their first birthday...despite how busy we have been packing and getting ready for the move, I've thought about Carson and Cole so much this week. I was watching the news last night and the weatherman said on this date last year we set a record of 104...Wow, yes I remember it well...I was as big as a house, we made a trip to the hospital thinking I was in labor only to be sent home as I was not progressing enough. A few days later we were in the doctors office and he said "ok, let's head over to the hospital. Today's the day!" Not only was this one of the most exciting days of our lives, but little did we know it would be one of the most emotional as well. My labor went very fast and we were set to deliver in the OR in case there were any problems, then we would already be in there in case a c section was necessary. The place was buzzing with excitement of the twins arrival. My doctor and all of our nurses were ready and so supportive. Levi and I were both excited but nervous as well. I'll save you the details, but baby boy A (Carson Michael Kelly) came into the world just before 6pm. He was so precious and tiny (well smaller than any other baby I'd seen), and he had been smashed into my pelvis for so long his face and eyes were very swollen, but overall looked very healthy. The nurses took him away to take care of him while we focused on delivering baby boy B, (Cole Levi Kelly). Cole was wrapped up tight in the umbilical cord so his delivery was pretty tricky. I was ready to deliver him, but his heart rate was not good. Dr Ohlhausen worked to untangle him, in the midst of minutes of waiting for his heart rate to improve...this seemed like forever before we were able to actually deliver. After over an hour of waiting, the doctor told me to go ahead and let's deliver him. He was born at 7:10pm. When Cole came out he was completely white and looked lifeless. The nurses took him away immediately and started bagging him to give him oxygen. It was amazing to see how everyone in the room knew their part and did their best in that moment. Levi and I cried and prayed for what seemed like an eternity, all the while seeing in the corner of the room the little lifeless body being so diligently worked on. Levi recalls Dr Ohlhausen looking at him and shaking his head as if to say, "I don't think he's going to make it." SEVEN minutes later God changed everything in the room. All of the sudden Cole made a sound, and everyone in the room was filled with relief and excitement. A couple of the nurses were crying tears of joy...as were Mommy and Daddy. Once he was stabilized he was wisked off to the NICU awaiting a doctor from Children's Mercy to evaluate him.




I hear people say there are no more miracles...I think miracles are happening all around us. I know I've seen more in the last year of life than ever before, or maybe I'm just more willing to give God the glory he deserves. He changed everything for us on Aug 3, 2007. Now Carson and Cole are celebrating their First birthday...amazing. They both bring so much joy to our family, and we love them very much.

No comments: