Saturday, September 29, 2007

Merle Baxter... (March 22, 1912 - Sept. 27, 2007)

Grandma with Mom, Marcus, and I
Mom and Uncle JD with Grandma
Mom, Merlene, Grandma, and I when I was a little girl
Merle Baxter

Merle Baxter is my 95 year old Grandmother. Eileen, Merlene, Imogene, Lillian, Janet, and JD all know her as Mom. On Thursday September 27, 2007 she went to be with her Heavenly Father. Grandma has lived a long hard life, but her life was full of love and laughter. She raised six children, with my Mom being the second youngest. Grandma and Grandpa raised their children on a farm in Marionville, MO. Grandpa died of a blood clot, after what would now be a routine surgery, when my Mom was just a young girl. At this point some of the older kids were grown and out of the house, Grandma wanted to stay on the farm to continue raising the rest of the children. They lived in a small two bedroom house, took care of the cows, chickens, and garden. Mom said Grandma cooked on an old wood stove, and could make the most amazing meals mostly off of what they had raised or grown.
Grandma also cared for her oldest daughter, Eileen, who has been disabled since birth. As a young child she underwent many surgeries, but has never been able to have much use of her arms or legs. Doctors told Grandma and Grandpa that Eileen might live to be 35…She has proven them wrong and is alive and well now into her 70’s. I believe that is mostly due to the constant love and care Grandma has given her. Grandma selflessly gave her life to her family, and I think that is one thing we will all remember about her. I have so many memories of just laughing with her, as she was a very funny lady. Once when I was in fifth grade I had an assignment to interview someone who had lived through the depression. I gave Grandma a call and told her my assignment. I asked her “tell me what it was like to live through the great depression?” She laughed so hard and responded, “you mean it’s over?” Then she explained to me that they really NEVER had much, so she didn’t think that the depression effected them as much as it did some people.
She may not have ever had much, but one thing I know she had was a beautiful real relationship with the Lord. She was always someone I looked up to, and still do, as she could face any situation or circumstance and never waiver in her faith. She would just continue to thank the Lord for what He has given her. She enjoyed her flowers, cooking, walks around town, getting up very early to go to Nedders (which she affectionately called her garage sale outings), going to church, and visiting neighbors and friends. I think everyone who knew Merle Baxter is blessed to have known her. We all love her deeply.
I've included all the pic's I have of her...most of them are back home with my Mom. After scavenging around in my storage this is what I've come up with. Hope you enjoy my beautiful Grandma.

Grandma and Aunt Eileen enjoying some time with Cole
Cole and his Great Grandma checking out each others glasses
Carson with his Greatgrandmother
Marcus with his Greatgrandmother and Mommy
Baby Marcus and greatgrandma, or as he calls her his
"grandma with wheels"

4 comments:

Teresa said...

Oh Jenny, this is a beautiful tribute to your Grandmother! I know she was a dear woman, both from what you have written and what I've heard from your family. I know you will treasure the memories of her.

Terri

The Borlase Bunch said...

Jen- I am sorry to hear of your grandma's passing- but it sounds like she was loved lots- and knew it!! I loved all of the pictures- made me cry!
Sending you a gigantic hug, love, tanya

Jen M said...

What a wonderful tribute!! Love you --

Anonymous said...

You said it beautifully Jenny. Your love for Grandma came through so wonderfully. She was blessed to have you as her granddaughter!
love
roxy